After a trial and a finding of guilty and sentence, the defendent or the Crown Attorney can seek to appeal the finding of guilt or the sentence. Depending on whether the charges are summary or indictable, an appeal may be necessary.

Often a defendant will claim that the judge did not apply the correct law to the facts and or was sentenced far too harshly. The Crown can appeal an acquittal or a sentence that is lenient.

If a guilty plea was entered and the defendant did not understand the implication of entering a plea of guilt, the plea may be struck.

This is general advice only, please call our office at 416-469-3443 to discuss your case.